Mathews County Marker, Z-252
Formed in 1790 from Gloucester, and named for Colonel Thomas Mathews, Revolutionary soldier. Gwynn's Island, from which Dunmore was driven in 1776, is here.
Marker Information:Year On Marker: 1946
Geographic Location: Mathews County
Physical Description of Location: Dutton, VA 23050. Located on Dutton Road (Rt. 198), 1.75 miles west of the junction of Dutton Road (Rt. 198) and Twiggs Ferry Road (Rt. 3). Marker is on the right when traveling west on Dutton Road (Rt. 198).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth