containertop

Mathews Count Courthouse Square Marker, N-88

Mathews County was formed in 1790 from Gloucester County and named for Thomas Mathews, of Norfolk, a soldier of the Revolution who was then Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates. A local builder, Richard Billups, constructed the courthouse between 1792 and 1795. Other early buildings in the square include a jail (ca. 1795) and clerk's office (1859). The courthouse square is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1992
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Mathews County
Physical Description of Location: Westville, VA 23109. Located on State Route 611, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the junction of State Route 611 and New Point Comfort Hwy (Rt. 14). Marker is on the left when traveling west on State Route 611.
GPS Location: 37.433732,-76.321817
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom