H. Clay Earles (1913-1999) opened Martinsville Speedway in 1947 with seating for 750. The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) first raced here in 1948. Martinsville Speedway was one of eight tracks to host the inaugural 1949 season of NASCAR's Strictly Stock division, later called Winston Cup and then NEXTEL Cup racing. It is the only original NASCAR track still hosting the highest division as of 2007. It features a short .526-mile track and seats more than 68,000. Earle's fan-friendly philosophy has endured, and the track draws fans from across the United States.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Martinsville - Henry County Economic Development Corporation
Geographic Location: Henry County
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of the intersection of Greensboro Road (State Routes 58-220) and Speedway Road (County Road 749) in Ridgeway, VA 24148.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth