Joseph Martin led a party of men to the Powell Valley, and attempted to establish a settlement nearby. By that fall they abandoned the site after conflicting with Native Americans. Martin returned here with a party of men in early 1775 and built a fort, known as Martin's Station on the north side of Martin's Creek. The wooden fort contained between five and six cabins built about 30 feet apart with stockades between each building. This site was abandoned in June 1776 during further regional conflicts between settlers and Native Americans.
Geographic Location: Lee County
Physical Description of Location: Rose Hill, VA 24281. Located on Daniel Boone Trail (US 58 Bus), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the junction of Daniel Boone Trail (US 58 Bus) and State Route 802. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Daniel Boone Trail (US 58 Bus).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth