A mile and a half west is the site of Marlfield, an eighteenth-century dwelling built by the Buckner family. It was purchased in 1782 by William Jones, who gave the house its name. Jones was among the first Virginia planters to use marl in his agricultural practices. His descendants sold Marlfield in 1906 but retained ownership of the nearby family cemetery. Marlfield had fallen into ruins by the mid-twentieth century.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/19/08
Year On Marker: 2008
Geographic Location: Gloucester County
Physical Description of Location: Petsworth, VA 23061. Located on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17) and Enos Road. Marker is on the left when traveling north on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth