Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Marlborough E-75 | Marker History

Marlborough Marker, E-75

Strategically situated at the tip of a peninsula jutting into the Potomac River at Potomac Creek, Marlborough was established under the Town Act of 1691 as a river port town. It served as the county seat of Stafford County from 1691 until about 1718. Marlborough never fully developed. In 1726, noted lawyer John Mercer (1705-1768) moved there and built Marlborough plantation and attempted to revive the town. Mercer had one of the largest private libraries in Virginia, in which the young George Mason received much of his education. Mercer's attempt to revive the town was unsuccessful and it ceased to exist by the end of the 18th century.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2001
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 1012-1046 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1), about .5 miles north of intersection with Centerpoint Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 1.
GPS Location: 38.3755606170,-77.45139109
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth