The community center here was known as Royal Oak, home of Arthur Campbell, frontiersman. The place became the county seat when Smyth County was formed and was named for Francis Marion, Revolutionary hero. It was incorporated in 1832; the courthouse was built in 1834; the railroad came in 1856. A cavalry action was fought here, December 1864, in Stoneman's raid.
Geographic Location: Smyth County
Physical Description of Location: 101-125 W Main Street, between S Church Street and S Park Street, Marion, VA 24354.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth