containertop

Manassas Marker, CL-4

According to tradition the name Manassas was derived either from an Indian source or from Manasseh, a Jewish innkeeper at Manassas Gap (35 miles west). The community originated in 1852 at the junction of the Manassas Gap and Orange & Alexandria railroads, which linked northern Virginia and Washington, D.C., with the Shenandoah Valley and central Virginia. During the Civil War the junction's strategic importance led to the battles of First and Second Manassas (Bull Run), both Confederate victories. Manassas was incorporated as a town in 1873 and became a city in 1975.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1991
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Manassas
Physical Description of Location: Manassas, VA 20110. Located on Grant Avenue (Rt. 234), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of Grant Avenue (Rt. 234) and Sudley Road. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Grant Avenue (Rt. 234).
GPS Location: 38.760763,-77.476793
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom