Nearby stood the Malvern Hill manor house built for Thomas Cocke in the 17th century. The Marquis de Lafayette camped here in July-August 1781, and elements of the Virginia militia encamped nearby during the War of 1812. During the Civil War, 1 July 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee attacked Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Union Army of the Potomac here as it retreated to the James River from the gates of Richmond. Although he dealt Lee a bloody defeat, McClellan continued his withdrawal to Harrison's Landing. The Malvern Hill house survived the battle as a Federal headquarters but burned in 1905.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23231. Located on New Market Road (Rt. 5), 1 mile south of the junction of New Market Road (Rt. 5) and Willis Church Road (Rt. 156). Marker is on the left when traveling south on New Market Road (Rt. 5).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth