The "Southampton Cavalry" was formed just north of this site in May, 1861 at what was the Gillette Farm, Cedar Lawn. Joseph E. Gillette was elected captain. The Company eventually became Company A of the 13th Virginia Cavalry. Gillette was promoted to major in the regiment. He died here November 1, 1863, after being wounded at Brandy Station. The company served gallantly until the end of the Civil War as part of General J. E. B. Stuart's cavalry in General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.
Geographic Location: Southampton County
Physical Description of Location: 31001-31093 Camp Parkway (US 58 Business), about 1 mile east of junction with US 58, Courtland, VA 23837. Marker is in front of elementary school.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth