Maj. Gen. Ben H. Fuller was born in Michigan on 27 Feb. 1870. He was graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1889 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps in 1891. Fuller married Katherine H. Offley on 26 Oct. 1892, and they intermittently lived here at Maplewood, which was owned by her family. Fuller served as the 15th commandant of the Marine Corps from 1930 to 1934. He played a key role in establishing the Fleet Marine Force and influenced the development of the Marine Corps' amphibious doctrine. He died on 8 June 1937 in Washington, D.C., and was buried at the U. S. Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis, Maryland.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Hamilton, VA 20158. Located on West Colonial Hwy (Rt. 7), 1.4 miles east of the junction of West Colonial Hwy (Rt. 7) and Berlin Pike (Rt. 287). Marker is on the left when traveling east on West Colonial Hwy (Rt. 7).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth