Major Edward Dale Marker, J-106

Major Edward and his wife, Diana Skipwith Dale, were among the earliest settlers in Lancaster County. They lived nearby on surrounding land, as part of a 350-acre plantation purchased from William and Jane Clappam in Dec. 1664. Between 1653 and 1695, Dale served at various times as the Westmoreland County clerk, a member of the Virginia General Assembly, and as the clerk, justice, high sheriff, “Collector of Publique and County Levies”, and “Commissioner of the Fort” for Lancaster County. The Dales’ children married into the Carter, Harrison, and Rogers families.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 06/17/10
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Charles R. Carter, The Carter Society
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - End of State Route 610 (Oak Hill Road)
GPS Location: 37.694847,-76.489102
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth