Built in 1822 by William Winfree, this Federal-style house was named for the large stand of magnolia trees in the front yard. It was originally surrounded by a 600-acre farm. A nearby tavern provided lodging for persons with business at the Courthouse; a grist mill formerly stood on nearby Cold Water Run. From 1881 to 1969 it was the residence of the Cogbill family whose members figured prominently in the political history of Chesterfield County.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Chesterfield Court House, VA 23832. Located on Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10), 1.5 miles southeast of the intersection of Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10) and VA-604. Marker is on the right when traveling southeast on Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth