Mabry’s Chapel Marker, UM-52

Eight miles northeast stood Mabry's Chapel, the fourth Methodist house of worship built in Virginia. It was constructed in 1780, five years after the congregation first met at John Mabry's dwelling. By 1804, a new, larger church was built; it included a balcony for black worshipers. Bishop Francis Asbury, Thomas Rankin, and Devereux Jarratt preached here in 1775. Two sessions of the Virginia Annual Conference, the 11th in Nov. 1794 and the 13th in Nov. 1796, met at Mabry's Chapel with Asbury presiding. The congregation relocated to a church on Allen's Road in 1847.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1999
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Greensville County
Physical Description of Location: Emporia, VA 23847. Located on Governor Harrison Parkway (Hwy 58), 0.6 miles west of the junction of Governor Harrison Parkway (Hwy 58) and State Route 606. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Governor Harrison Parkway (Hwy 58).
GPS Location: 36.755695,-77.653964
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth