In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of assembly; in 1791 the first tobacco warehouse was built. Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805. In 1840 the James River and Kanawha Canal, from Richmond to Lynchburg, was opened; the section to Buchanan, in 1851. Lynchburg became a city in 1852.
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24504. Located on Church Street, 0.2 miles south of the junction of Church Street and 5th Street (Rt. 163). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth