Lynchburg College was founded in 1903 as Virginia Christian College by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and a group of Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) clergymen and lay leaders. It is one of the earliest colleges in Virginia to be founded as a coeducational institution. Its name was changed to Lynchburg College in 1919. The former Westover Hotel served as the college's original building. Renamed Westover Hall, it was dismantled in 1970. Hopwood Hall, designed in the Classical Revival style by architect Edward G. Frye and completed in 1909, is the oldest classroom building on campus and is still in use.
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24501. Located on Lakeside Drive (Hwy 221), less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Lakeside Drive (Hwy 221) and Old Forest Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Lakeside Drive (Hwy 221).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth