Lunenburg County was formed in 1746 from Brunswick County. Named for King George II, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a German possession of England's Hanoverian kings, Lunenburg County's territory originally included the counties of Bedford, Campbell, Charlotte, Franklin, Halifax, Henry, Mecklenburg, Patrick, Pittsylvania, and a part of Appomattox County. During the Revolutionary War, British cavalry commander Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton's troops conducted raids here and throughout Southside Virginia in Jul. 1781. The county seat is Lunenburg. In 1827, William A. Howard and Dabney Cosby, Sr., completed the county's Roman Revival courthouse, which was modeled after a Thomas Jefferson design.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/08/06
Year On Marker: 2006
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Kenbridge, VA 23944. Located on Blackstone Road (Rt. 40), 1.75 miles northeast of the junction of Blackstone Road (Rt. 40) and State Route 600. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Blackstone Road (Rt. 40).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth