Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Lunenburg County Courthouse SN-67 | Marker History

Lunenburg County Courthouse Marker, SN-67

William Howard and Dabney Cosby, who had worked for Thomas Jefferson, completed this courthouse in 1827. The second courthouse to occupy this site, it is a temple-form building employing the Doric order and was influenced by Jefferson's Roman Revival style. It originally included an apsidal rear wall. The exterior stairs were added later in the 19th century. Lunenburg’s county seat, originally located near present-day Chase City, was moved here after Mecklenburg County was formed in 1765. This town was laid off as Lewiston in 1817 and later renamed Lunenburg Court House. Two law offices (built 1842 and 1888) remain on the courthouse square.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: June 20, 2013
Date Installed-Dedicated: May 25, 2014
Original Sponsor: Lunenburg County Historical Society
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: Lunenburg Courthouse at 11435 Courthouse Road
GPS Location: 36.96147,-78.265862
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth