Here stand the earliest coke ovens of the Low Moor Iron Company (organized 1873). The ovens converted coal into coke to fuel the company's blast furnace. The company built more than a hundred such ovens in 1881. By 1923 the Low Moor Iron Company employed 1,600 workers in Virginia and West Virginia, could produce 75 tons of foundry iron a day, and supported the company town of Low Moor. The last survivor among Alleghany County's once-thriving ironworks, the company closed in 1926.
Geographic Location: Alleghany County
Physical Description of Location: Jackson River, VA 24426. Located on Winterbury Avenue Northeast, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Winterbury Avenue Northeast and State Route 696. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Winterbury Avenue Northeast.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth