On 13 Nov. 1869, the Rev. Capt. Charles S. Schaeffer of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands met with the people of Lovely Mount (later Radford) and organized the Lovely Mount Baptist Church. In 1898, the congregation purchased the Lutheran church that stood at this location on Fairfax Street, and changed its name to the First Baptist Church. The first church of the Baptist denomination in Radford, Lovely Mount/First Baptist Church served the African American community for more than 60 years until Radford College purchased it in 1961 and demolished it to expand Peters Hall.
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Karen Casteele, Radford University
Geographic Location: Radford
Physical Description of Location: Radford University Campus, Fairfax Street, between Peters Hall and corner of Fairfax and Adams Streets
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth