The Loudoun County Courthouse, first occupied in 1895, is the third on this site, which was designated for that use on the 1759 plat of Leesburg. On 12 Aug. 1776, the Declaration of Independence was read from the doorway of the first courthouse. The second was built of brick in the Federal style about 1811. The Marquis de Lafayette, on his grand tour of the United States, was entertained here on 9 Aug. 1825. President John Quincy Adams and former president James Monroe, who then lived near Leesburg, escorted him. In 1894, the Norris brothers, of Leesburg, built this courthouse, designed by William C. West, of Richmond, in the Classical style.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Leesburg, VA 20175. Located at the intersection of North King Street and Edwards Ferry Road Northeast (Rt. 7).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth