The Virginia General Assembly approved plans for the Loudoun Branch (parts of which survive here) of the Manassas Gap Railroad on 8 March 1853, and construction soon began. The route extended 27 miles from just southwest of Chantilly on the main railroad's Independent Line to Purcellville, linking Alexandria with the farms of central Loudoun County. In 1856, stockholders voted to extend the railroad to Harpers Ferry to gain access to the lower Shenandoah Valley, but the financially overextended company stopped work in May 1857. Late in 1860, with an improved financial position, the company planned to continue, but the Civil War intervened and work never resumed.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Purcellville, VA 20132. Located on State Route 709, 0.833333333333333 miles northeast of the junction of State Route 709 and State Route 723. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on State Route 709.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth