Thomas Fairfax (1693-1781), sixth Baron Fairfax of Cameron, was the proprietor of the Northern Neck Proprietary, a vast landholding that lay between the Rappahannock and the Potomac Rivers, and extended to the Blue Ridge. Born in England, he came to Virginia about 1735 and moved to the Shenandoah Valley about 1747. He eventually lived at Greenway Court in present-day Clarke County, while managing his land-holdings. In 1749, he was named a justice of the peace for Frederick County, and also served as one of the justices of the county court of chancery that met in Winchester, and a county lieutenant for a number of years. He is buried at Christ Episcopal Church in Winchester.
Geographic Location: Winchester
Physical Description of Location: 1177-1199 N Frederick Pike (US 522), .8 miles southeast of Virginia 37 interchange, Winchester, VA 22603. Marker is on right when traveling south on US 522.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth