The college opened here in October 1884 as a "State Female Normal School". In 1914 the name was changed to "State Normal School for Women at Farmville"; in 1924 to "State Teachers College at Farmville"; in 1949 to "Longwood College". Conferring the B.S. degree was authorized in 1916, and later the B.A. degree. William H. Ruffner, first State Superintendent of Public Instruction, was the first president. The fourth, J. L. Jarman, served from 1902 to 1946.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: South Main Street (US 15), Farmville, VA 23901. Marker is on right when traveling south on S Main Street, about 300 feet south of intersection with Putney Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth