This Classical Revival mansion built for Robert Carter Burwell is one of the few remaining residential works in which B. Henry Latrobe, father of the American architectural profession, played a role in design. Latrobe offered suggestions to Burwell for a staircase and piazza in 1811, a few months after workmen had laid the foundations. Hugh Mortimer Nelson added the porticoes and castellated east wing after 1842, as well as the Greek Revival-style interior trim based on designs published by the architect Minard Lefever. The late Harry Z. Isaacs renovated the mansion in 1989.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Boyce, VA 22620. Located on Nelson Road, 0.2 miles west of the intersection of Nelson Road and Red Gate Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Nelson Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth