In the second quarter of the 17th-century, merchant George Menefie developed a 1,200-acre plantation just east of here he called Littletown. In March 1633, Dutch trader David DeVies observed that his two-acre garden was "full of Provence roses, apple, pear and cherry trees, & with different kinds of sweet-smelling herbs, such as rosemary, sage, marjoram, thyme." Richard Kemp later acquired the tract and called it Rich Neck. Rich Neck was home to three generations of the Ludwell family and Ludwell's Mill (at modern Lake Matoaka) was an important 18th-century landmark.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of Jamestown Road (Rt. 31) and Humelsine Pkwy (Rt. 199). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth