The earliest private turnpike charter in Virginia was granted by the General Assembly to the Company of the Fairfax and Loudoun Turnpike Road in 1796. By 1806 the 34-mile-long road connected Alexandria with Aldie on the Little River in Loudoun County. The company placed wooden tollhouses along the road at five-mile intervals, and one stood near here until 1954. The Little River Turnpike became a free road in 1896. In Fairfax County, only this portion of the road in Annandale retains its original name.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Annandale, VA 22003. Located on Annandale Road, less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of Annandale Road and Little River Turnpike (Rt. 236). Marker is on the left when traveling north on Annandale Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth