On 11 December 1862, Union engineers began the construction of pontoon bridges here so the army could cross the Rappahannock River to Fredericksburg. They began in the morning, hidden by fog. Soon the fog lifted, however, and Confederate sharpshooters drove them off. A heavy Union artillery barrage and an amphibious assault finally secured the crossing and the engineers completed the bridges. Two days later, Brig. Gen. William B. Franklin's Left Grand Division, including divisions led by Maj. Gen. George G. Meade and Brig. Gen. Abner Doubleday, crossed over the bridges when the Battle of Fredericksburg began. They were defeated by Confederate Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's corps.
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 744-746 Kings Highway (Virginia 3), about 2 miles east of intersection with Blue Gray Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Marker is on right when traveling east on Virginia 3.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth