Little England Chapel, originally known as the Ocean Cottage Sunday School, was built about 1879 on property provided by Daniel F. Cock. Hampton Institute students regularly offered Sunday school lessons here to the African American Newtown community from the early 1880s into the 20th century. By 1890 the chapel had become known for its sewing club. The Newtown Improvement and Civic Club also held meetings at the chapel and programs of worship, singing, and concerts took place here. The club acquired the property in 1954. The church was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1981 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23669. Located on Kecoughtan Road, 0.75 miles northeast of the intersection of Kecoughtan Road and State Route 167. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Kecoughtan Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth