President Abraham Lincoln first entered Richmond at Rocketts Landing on 5 Apr. 1865. He was brought upstream from City Point for a tour of the captured capital by Adm. David Dixon Porter on his ship, USS Malvern. Crowds formed as Lincoln walked through Richmond to the White House of the Confederacy. The president also visited the State Capitol, Camp Lee where U.S. Colored Troops had made camp, and Libby Prison and Castle Thunder, former Confederate prisons then holding Confederate officers. On 9 April, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox, ending the Civil War.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - Corner of Orleans Street and Old Main Street OR corner of Orleans Street and East Main Street (for greater visibility), Richmond, VA 23231.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth