Just north stand the ruins of Liberty Hall Academy's stone academic building, which was constructed in 1793. Founded in 1749 near Greenville as Augusta Academy, the school was reestablished in 1776 at Timber Ridge and patriotically renamed Liberty Hall Academy. It moved here to Mulberry Hill in 1782, when the Virginia General Assembly chartered it as a college. In 1796, in honor of President George Washington's endowment gift of James River (canal) Co. stock, it was renamed Washington Academy. Fire gutted the building in 1803, prompting the college to move to its present location in Lexington, where it is now known as Washington and Lee University.
Geographic Location: Lexington
Physical Description of Location: Lexington, VA 24450. Located on West Nelson Street (Hwy 60), 0.8 miles northwest of the intersection of West Nelson Street (Hwy 60) and North Main Street. Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on West Nelson Street (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth