During the winter of 1862-1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee maintained his headquarters in a small clearing in the woods in this vicinity. The camp contained only a few tents and nothing but a flag to indicate it was Lee's headquarters. By mid-February the Army of Northern Virginia showed signs of scurvy and malnutrition, so Lee sent Lt. Gen. James Longstreet and a few other divisions to southeastern Virginia to gather supplies and counter Union forces. Lee remained at the site until late March 1863, when a serious throat infection forced him to take shelter at the nearby Thomas Yerby's house.
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between Mine Road (County Road 636) and Norfolk Way, Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Marker is on right when traveling east on Mine Road, about 1 mile east of intersection with US 1.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth