(Six miles southwest of this location), on the morning of 27 Aug. 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee rested at the head of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's corps as it marched toward Thoroughfare Gap to join Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's corps near Manassas Junction at the Second Battle of Manassas. The 9th New York Cavalry, covering the left flank of Maj. Gen. John Pope's army on its march from Warrenton to Manassas, nearly overran (overtook) Lee's position between Ada and Vernon Mills. His staff mounted quickly and formed a line to protect him. The Federals mistook the horsemen for a Confederate cavalry column and turned away.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: Marshall, VA 20115. Located on West Main Street (Hwy 17), 0.25 miles southwest of the intersection of West Main Street (Hwy 17) and Co. Road 710. Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on West Main Street (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth