Lee’s Mill Earthworks Marker, W-71

These earthworks were part of General John B. Magruder's second line of defense. At this site on April 5, 1862, Confederate General Lafayette McLaw's four companies of the Tenth Georgia with Captain Joseph B. Cosnahan's two batteries stopped the advance of Union General William F. "Baldy" Smith's two divisions of the Fourth Army Corps and Captain Charles C. Wheeler's six batteries. Several skirmishes and engagements occurred here between April 5 and May 4, 1862 at which time the Confederate forces abandoned the earthworks and withdrew to Williamsburg.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1988
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 15679-15689 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA 23608.
GPS Location: 37.169545,-76.563882
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth