Half a mile west, at the Rogers farm called Middle Hill, Gen. Robert E. Lee kept his headquarters from Dec. 1863 to May 1864. His Army of Northern Virginia, in winter camp, guarded the south side of the Rapidan River from the vicinity of Liberty Mills in Somerset east to Morton's Ford. While Lee strove to reinforce and resupply his depleted ranks, across the river in Culpeper County Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Maj. Gen. George G. Meade trained and strengthened the Army of the Potomac for the spring campaign. On 4 May 1864, the Wilderness campaign began anew.
Geographic Location: Orange County
Physical Description of Location: 17201-17235 Constitution Hwy (Route 20), Orange, VA 22960. Marker is on right when traveling west on 20, about 1 mile west on intersection with Lahore Drive (State Route 629).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth