containertop

Lee’s Headquarter Marker, S-38

To the east, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee briefly made his headquarters at Clay's house on 17 June 1864. There he received full details of the Union army's attack on Petersburg that began the evening of 15 June 1864. Lee learned that Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant had committed most of the Union Army of the Potomac to assault the Petersburg fortifications commanded by Confederate Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard. After receiving the reports of the Federal assault on Petersburg, Lee realized that Petersburg stood in immediate danger. He left his nearby headquarters early the next morning and went with most of his army to reinforce the garrison at Petersburg.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Chester, VA 23831. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.6 miles south of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and W. Hundres Road (Rt. 10). Marker is on the left when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
GPS Location: 37.3473528730,-77.4104459860
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom