Lee Hall Marker, W-54

Lee Hall, a stately Italianate plantation dwelling, was built by 1859 for affluent planter Richard Decatur Lee. Confederate generals John Bankhead Magruder and Joseph Eggleston Johnston used the mansion as their headquarters during the April – May 1862 Warwick-Yorktown siege phase of the Peninsula Campaign. An earthen fort in the yard used to launch a Confederate hot-air balloon on 17 Apr. 1862 remains from the military occupation. A brief skirmish was fought here on 4 May 1862 during the Confederate retreat to Williamsburg. After the war, Lee strove to revitalize his farm but went bankrupt in 1870 and was foreclosed the next year.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2001
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 125-137 Yorktown Rd (State Route 238), Newport News, VA 23603. Marker is in front of Lee Hall mansion.
GPS Location: 37.200794,-76.573851
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth