The Cambellite congregation now associated with Lebanon Church was established about 1825. These followers of prominent religious leader Alexander Campbell originally shared by Chiskiak "Cheesecake" Church in York County with other denominations. Friction with another sect using "Cheesecake" Church prompted the Lebanon congregation to move to Warwick County by 1848. The brick chapel was constructed here in 1859. Confederate General J.B. Magruder stationed cavalry at this strategic crossroads from Jan. through Apr. 1862. Union General W.F. Smith briefly had his headquarters here on 4 May 1862, en route to the Battle of Williamsburg. Union troops occupying the Peninsula continued to be stationed here until 1864.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/01/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 400-460 Yorktown Rd (State Route 238), Newport News, VA 23603. Marker is on right when traveling north in pull-off located in front of Endview Plantation. Marker is parallel to roadway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth