Approximately six miles to the north, near Hog Island Creek, is the site of Lawne's Creek Church. Authorized in 1629 as a "chapel of ease" for the settlers in the area by the Council and General Court of Colonial Virginia, the church was the site of a meeting in 1673 to protest unjust taxation and government without representation and to manifest a spirit of religious independence.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between Colonial Trail E (Virginia 10) and Hog Island Road (State Route 650), Surry, VA 23883. Marker is on left when traveling south on Virginia 10.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth