Laurel, first named Hungary Station, was the location of a spur railroad line to the coal fields in western Henrico County. During the Civil War the station here was burned, and Colonel Ulrich Dahlgren's body was secretly buried here in March 1864 and later reinterred in Philadelphia. Nearby stood the first public school in Henrico County. In 1890 the Laurel Industrial School for Boys was established here as an alternative to imprisonment. Several nearby buildings served the institution, later called the Virginia Industrial School; during 1920-1922 the school was moved to Beaumont in Powhatan County.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23228. Located on Hungary Road, 0.6 miles east of the intersection of Hungary Road and Staples Mill Road (Hwy 33). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Hungary Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth