Last Confederate Capitol Marker, Q-5-a

This, the former home of Major W. T. Sutherlin, is regarded as the last capitol of the Confederacy, April 3-10, 1865. Here President Davis stayed and here was held the last full cabinet meeting, Breckinridge alone being absent. The establishment of the Confederate government in Danville ended when the news of Lee's surrender arrived on April 10.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1939
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Danville
Physical Description of Location: Danville, VA 24541. Located on Main Street (Rt. 293), 0.5 miles east of the intersection of Main Street (Rt. 293) and Central Blvd (Rt. 86). Marker is on the right when traveling east on Main Street (Rt. 293).
GPS Location: 36.581212,-79.400607
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth