The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA), created in 1915 to revitalize American aviation, was a pivotal force behind opening Langley Field in 1917 nearby to the north. It was named for the late Smithsonian Secretary Samuel P. Langley. The NACA's first research facility, Langley Memorial Aeronautical Laboratory, opened in 1918. Over the years, it solved complex problems of atmospheric flight, yielding ongoing advances in aircraft design. After World War II, the laboratory also laid the foundation for space flight. When the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) emerged in 1958, Langley trained America's first astronauts.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: 600 Settlers Landing Rd, Hampton, VA 23669-4033. Located on Settlers Landing Road (Hwy 60), 0.25 miles east of the junction of Settlers Landing Road (Hwy 60) and North Amistead Avenue (Rt. 134). Marker is on the right when traveling east on Settlers Landing Road (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth