This site has served as the county seat for Lancaster County since 1740. Edward O. Robinson built the present brick courthouse in 1861. The complex includes an early jail and 18th century clerk’s office. An 1872 Confederate monument, one of the earliest erected in Virginia, also stands southeast of the clerk’s office. Nearby is a ca. 1800 tavern, a mid-19th century post office, a Carpenter’s Gothic church, a ca. 1900 store, and several detached 19th- and early-20th-century dwellings. The Lancaster Court House Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - Route 3 at the courthouse
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth