Kingston Parish was established about 1652. During colonial times, the Anglican parish administered the ecclesiastical and some civil affairs for the inhabitants of the area that later became Mathews County. The principal parish church is believed to have been located on this site since the early 18th century. In ruins by 1841, it was restored as Christ Church largely through the efforts of Elizabeth Tompkins, sister of Confederate Capt. Sally Tompkins. Both are buried here. After a fire in 1904, the church was rebuilt. Rev. Giles Buckner Cooke, former member of Gen. Robert E. Lee's staff during the Civil War, served as rector here from 1904 to 1915.
Geographic Location: Mathews County
Physical Description of Location: Chesapeake, VA 23163. Located on State Route 614, 0.4 miles west of the junction of State Route 614 and New Point Comfort Hwy (Rt. 14). Marker is on the right when traveling west on State Route 614.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth