Just south, between Put In Creek and Woodas Creek, lies the former glebe of Kingston Parish of the Church of England (now the Protestant Epsicopal Church). In 1665 the parish acquired the first parcel (455 acres) of glebe land to support its minister. After the Revolution and subsequent disestablishment of the Church of England, parishes gradually relinquished their property. In 1802 the General Assembly ordered all glebes sold. Kingston Parish auctioned off its glebe in 1810 to help the poor.
Geographic Location: Mathews County
Physical Description of Location: Westville, VA 23109. Located on State Route 621, 1 mile south of the junction of State Route 621 and Dutton Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on State Route 621.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth