Kingsmill Plantation, the home of Col. Lewis Burwell, was built in the mid-1730s and consisted of a mansion, outbuildings, garden, and 1,400 acres. The house burned in 1843. Only the office and the kitchen still stand; they are among the earliest brick dependencies in Virginia. Burwell, the naval officer (colonial customs inspector) for the upper James River, built his inspection station here at Burwell's Landing, which included a tavern, storehouse, warehouse, and ferry house. In Nov. 1775, American riflemen skirmished nearby with British naval vessels; later, the Americans built two earthen forts here that the British captured in 1781.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60), 0.25 miles northwest of the intersection of Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60) and Humelsine Pkwy (Rt. 199). Marker is on the left when traveling northwest on Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth