King William Training School was erected here in 1922-23 on the site of the King William Academy (1903-22). The Rosenwald Foundation, which built more than 5,300 black schools in the South, the African American community, and the county funded the school. Constructed as a Rosenwald Foundation Plan 4A building, it has natural lighting, four classrooms with a fifth added in 1927, and an auditorium, library, and office. The school provided a formal education in grades one through twelve. It served as a high school until 1952 and an elementary school until 1961. The Pamunkey Baptist Association bought the King William Training School in 1962.
Original Sponsor: Pamunkey Baptist Association
Geographic Location: King William County
Physical Description of Location: King William, VA 23086. Located on King William Road (Rt. 30), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the junction of King William Road (Rt. 30) and State Route 629. Marker is on the left when traveling east on King William Road (Rt. 30).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth