The Kilgore Fort House was built in 1786 by Robert Kilgore whose family were early settlers in this area. It was one of the twelve forts between Castlewood and Cumberland Gap providing ready refuge for settlers from Indian attacks in the late 18th century. Kilgore later was a preacher in the Primitive Baptist Church, often holding religious services at the Fort House. He married Jane Porter Green, daughter of Patrick Porter who built Porter's Fort on Fall Creek.
Geographic Location: Scott County
Physical Description of Location: Nickelsville Road (Virginia 71), about 1.1 miles south of intersection with State Route 680, Nickelsville, VA 24271.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth