Originally known as Kemp's Landing, Kempsville is located at the head of the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River. By the middle 1700s, it had become an important port community. Colonial Governor Lord Dunmore's forces fought the Princess Anne County militia at Kemp's landing on 14/15 Nov. 1775 for possession of the strategically important bridge there. After a brief engagement, the militia retreated. Established as a town in 1783, Kempsville served as the county seat of Princess Anne County from 1778 to about 1823. Princess Anne County was consolidated with the City of Virginia Beach in 1963 and the town became part of the city.
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: 5221 Princess Anne Road (Virginia 165), near top of T intersection with Overland Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth