containertop

Jordan’s Point Marker, K-208

Weyanoke Indians, part of the Powhatan Chiefdom, occupied Jordan's Point, around two miles north on the James River, when English colonists arrived in 1607. There, about 1620, Samuel Jordan settled; the place was called Jordan's Journey. By 1625, his widow Cicely and more than 50 other people resided there in some 15 households within a fortified compound. More than a century later, Richard Bland (1710-1776), member of the First Continental Congress, lived there. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, excavations at Jordan's Point revealed one of the richest arrays of prehistoric and historic archaeological sites in Virginia.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1999
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Prince George County
Physical Description of Location: South corner of intersection between Ruffin Road (Virginia 156 Bypass) and State Route 609, Bland, VA 23875.
GPS Location: 37.241249,-77.247406
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom